How can PocketBib be improved?

Use the library's location rather than Dropbox root folder for relative paths to linked files

I mirror my bibdesk library and PDF repository on Dropbox. I use auto file with bibdesk to put files in my preferred location in a multi-level folder hierarchy, which is also replicated on Dropbox. I can check dropbox and see that my PDFs are in the correct location relative to my .bib file . But pocketbib can't find any of them.

When I go to locate the missing file, PB begins the search from the Dropbox root, rather than the folder where my bib file is located. It seems that this is also how it is handling linked files in general - at least this would explain why it can't find any, even though it appears to display the correct relative path when it tells me it can't find the file (incidentally the display of the file name is so truncated, it's impossible to see the full path, but the first few characters look right....).

I'd like the option to choose whether PB resolves relative file paths from the Dropbox root folder or the library location, or maybe just to specify a base location from which to resolve the file name.

Thanks!

1 vote
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Derick shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →
    completed  ·  AdminGraham Dennis (Admin, PocketBib) responded  · 

Hi Derick,

PocketBib searches for your files both relative to the root of dropbox and relative to the root of your .bib file. If both fail, and you manually locate a single PDF it works out the relationship between the paths in your .bib file and those in Dropbox and uses that when searching for all subsequent files. So there isn’t a need to specify the base location for searching in PocketBib.

It sounds like the problem is that PocketBib isn’t displaying the full path to help you locate where the PDF is when manually locating the file. Please send an email to pocketbib@grahamdennis.me if you need further assistance.

Regards,
    Graham

0 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service