How can PocketBib be improved?

Ability to Add/Edit entries

As I often read and search for papers on the iPad without the use of a computer, it would be very useful if was possible to add and edit entries (also with the pdfs) in the bibtex library directly from the iPad, similarly to what is possible in BibDesk.
In the case when one is using at the same moment also BibDesk, it should not be too big of a problem to restart the program after a change done in PocketBib.

201 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    David shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

13 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Maciej Jakubowiak commented  · 

That would be fantastic, turning iPad into self-reliable research tool. One guy is working on a workflow to convert bibtex citations within Editorial, so combined with Pocketbib that would make a perfect set.

• Luciano commented  · 

Hi, I'm also one one those who's waiting the "add" function. In fact, that would be great just to scan a book's barcode and so it's added to the database (as EasyBib searches for example)

• Anonymous commented  · 

My 2c: the possible problem of incompatible updates on the bibdesk and pocketbib is a user problem, not something to be necessarily solved with software. Folks who use bibtex are savvy enough to take care of closing one program before editing a file on another. This problem should not stop development on an ADD function.

• Anonymous commented  · 

Hi,

thank you for this app which I've just bought, but I am really disappointed to discover that the possibility to add bibtex entries is not given. I actually bought for that purpose specifically. Did you get the chance to work on that topic? Will this function be released soon?

Thanks
        Emmanuel

• AdminGraham Dennis (Admin, PocketBib) commented  · 

Hi Harry,

I would like to have the ability to add new entries to a library, but this relies on first reworking how you edit existing entries. This is something I'm beginning to work on, so don't expect anything soon.

Graham

• Harry commented  · 

Dennis,
        do u plan to develop the ability to add new sources to the lib on the go. manual entry and/or via file download?

thx harry

Hi Kelli,
        That sounds like the bug Fabio found. It's fixed in 1.2.3 which is available on the App Store. Please check if you have the latest version. If you do, please send me an email (graham@grahamdennis.me) and let me know the problem you're experiencing.

Graham

• Kelli Hendrickson commented  · 

I have actually started using PocketBib to remotely work on cleaning up my BibDesk Library and entries in addition to what David has described. I noticed I had an entry that the journal title was missing and when I tried to edit the entry to add the journal title, it acted like it did it but it never actually did it. Is this the "bug" that Fabio identified?

Love the app!

• Fabio Stoch commented  · 

Now it works, grat, thanks!
        Just a further suggestion, it would be nice to add the possibility to edit after selecting authors from the Details window and add new authors as well, as for keywords. I have often correct capital letters or some characters or add missing authors as soon as I discover them and it is time consuming edit them from the Edit window instead of using Author list.

Fabio,

Thanks for bringing this to my attention, I didn't realise this was broken. I've fixed this in my development version for 1.2.3. Please send me an email at graham@grahamdennis.me and I'll give you access to a development version that has this bug fixed.

Regards,
        Graham

• Fabio Stoch commented  · 

Yes... Editing existing fields work, but when I add a new BibTeX field name nothing happens (iPad version, IOS 6.1). Is it a bug or are you working on it?
        I hope too in a future version it will be possible to add entries; downloading a new pdf on iPad and adding it immediately to the bibliographic database will be an unvaluable help for every researcher!

• David commented  · 

Than you for the new version, this is already a very useful thing, good work.
        I hope that in future versions it will also be possible to add new entries and PDFs.

PocketBib 1.2.2 has just been released with support for editing existing entries. You can edit BibTeX fields, but you can't add new entries or add PDFs to entries.

Feedback and Knowledge Base