How can PocketBib be improved?

Adapt to changes in Dropbox expected September 28, 2017

On September 28, 2017, changes to Dropbox will likely affect PocketBib links to Dropbox accounts. At the moment it seems PocketBib will no longer connect to Dropbox after that date unless it is updated to adapt to those changes.

73 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Denis shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

16 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  · 

Is there still no movement on this?

• Derick commented  · 

Well I've ended up building a custom FileMaker database, csv export templates from BibDesk, and set it up to do some nice things that I requested here but which never got implemented, like exporting Markdown citations and links. It calls a custom workflow (in Workflow, the app) which replicates my autofile scheme and opens the appropriate file in Dropbox. It was a bit of work (and FM is not cheap but I have it anyway...) but now I have my references back on my iOS devices & I'm not dependent on abandonware.

• S commented  · 

To wrap in silence is not the nice way to work with this situation :/ Maybe Graham could make the code open source so someone will fix the API issue.

• Nick commented  · 

Unbelievable!

• Brice commented  · 

I am in a similar situation, this is quite frustrating. I sent en email to the developer in the past be he never got back to me.

• Anonymous commented  · 

I echo the frustration with the abandonment of PocketBib. I too had previous cries for help to Graham gone unanswered, even though he was extremely responsive in the past.

• Paul commented  · 

Looks like PocketBib has become abandonware. I changed my app store review from 5 to 1 star. I am very much hoping I end up with occasion to change it back to 5 again. $10 is a steep price for an iOS app; it was well worth it while the app worked, but frustrating to have lost to an AWOL developer.

Even more frustrating, the website http://www.grahamdennis.me/pocketbib/ still touts "Syncs with Dropbox" as a feature, despite that no longer being true.

Has anyone found any workable alternatives in the meantime for those of us using BibDesk with Dropbox?

• David Stockton commented  · 

An email to Graham about this issue this week has gone unanswered. I hope he finds some profit in maintaining this excellent product or I will have to completely rethink my research hardware and software approach.

• Derick commented  · 

Well it no longer works and the developer is AWOL. Carlos, the iOS BibDesk stuff is several years old and nobody is working on it AFAIK.

• Carlos Maltzahn commented  · 

I cannot connect to Dropbox anymore -- instead I get an error: GDHTTPStatusErrorDomain 400

• Derick commented  · 

I emailed as well, on August 10, and have heard nothing.

• Anonymous commented  · 

I sent an email to Graham pointing out this issue in July 2017, but have not received a reply yet. I hope, he is still maintaining PocketBib.

• Anonymous commented  · 

Indeed, this is becoming urgent. Is this applications still mantained?

Feedback and Knowledge Base